Tuesday, August 21, 2012

BYU Bound!

 My oldest nephew, Tanner, left for college this weekend. He'll be attending BYU, with classes starting on Monday. Being the sentimental person I am, goodbyes are never easy for me, even though I know they're seldom final. Tanner is one of the most kind-hearted, conscientious kids I've ever known and I know that he's going to do great. I just know that college was hard for me and I struggled. Sure, I did have some fantastic experiences and I made friendships that have lasted to this day. But I was also extremely depressed and many days it was all I could to do to get out of bed let alone succeed in my courses. So when hugging Tanner goodbye, I found myself overcome with all the things I wish for him: that he'll make friends, that he'll enjoy his classes, that his homesickness will me minor, that he'll find his niche, that he'll enjoy his new freedoms responsibly, that he'll be happy, that he will face his future with confidence and with excitement. Oh, to be 18 again! With all the possibilities in the world ahead of you. 

Also, I could have used that trailer when going to college. It sure beats a car trunk!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Last week we drove up to Brigham City and passed many young people in cars, packed full of stuff. I assumed they were on their way to college, since it is that time of year. It brought back so many memories for me as well! I remembered those fun and scary first weeks of school. I sure did make some great friends though and had some wonderful times!