Friday, June 17, 2011

Las Fresas!

No other fruit reminds me of my childhood like strawberries. They also remind me of my Grandpa Elmer Berger. He's the only grandpa I ever knew; my grandma married him after being widowed for several years. I don't remember the exact year Grandpa Berger passed away, but I can tell you exactly what I was wearing at his funeral. Strange how a child's mind works, isn't it? As I remember it, Grandma and Grandpa Berger had quite a large garden. My family lived about 15 miles from them and I could always count on Grandpa B bringing me strawberries when they were in season. They are, hands down, my favorite fruit. I don't recall how those childhood strawberries tasted, but I do remember how special I felt about being singled out. Today, I harvested the first strawberries of the season from my garden and thought about Grandpa Berger as I ate them.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

They are beautiful and hopefully tasted heavenly. What a great memory and what a great name: Elmer.

Amanda said...

I feel the same way about strawberries. We grew them all growing up and I've been trying to grow them here since we moved here with no luck. Enjoy!

Nicole said...

My mom loved strawberries so much that she decorated our kitchen in strawberry decor. I stayed away from them for some time (a bit of OD I think). But now, I am back and I LOVE strawberries. So do two of my kids and we can devour a whole bowl in seconds! I'd love to grow some of our own.