Monday, July 7, 2008

Day of Independence

When I was a child, the Fourth of July held a certain appeal that, as an adult, I can't quite articulate. There was something about the combination of a warm summer day and barbecues and water balloons and the sheer anticipation of getting to stay up late. Not to mention the explosives! On Friday, Brett and I went to a park/greenbelt in west Portland that puts on a very impressive fireworks show. Just sitting there looking at the crowd I thought about how fantastically excited I would've been if I was a kid there. As it was, I myself was very excited about the show. I love fireworks. Love them! We had a great time. When I was young - 6? 7? - my parents manned the high school band fireworks booth in our small town and every Fourth, I'm reminded of dismantling the booth and driving the truck home under the threat of catching a rogue spark as the celebrations had already begun. Well, I didn't do so much of the dismantling or driving, but I was an active observer. I'm sure the threat wasn't as imminent as it felt when I was little, but it sure was thrilling to my young self!
This doesn’t quite illustrate it, but the crowd was quite large. A good time was had by all!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

How fun! You look like you had a great time. I love the Fourth of July too. I always wanted to be proposed to on the Fourth of July... fire works and all... that didn't happen but, Darrel and I did meet for the first time on the fourth so, in addition to my love for our country, the thrill of the fireworks, the smell of pulled pork on the BBQ, and great company, this is a fabulous holiday!