Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Garden Fresh

No salmonella for me this summer. Look at my tomatoes! They're coming along nicely and should provide me with plenty to share. You may be wondering why I have so many plants. Well, I live on the second floor and on windy days, the tree branches snagged the top of the tomato cages and swept them off the railing. So some plants became two and I bought a couple replacements for the ones I didn't think would make it. Surprise! They are apparently much more resilient than I realized. And now you're probably wondering why my tomato plants were up on the railing. Well, due to the aforementioned trees, the direct sun they crave is somewhat limited. So as you can see now, they're all set up - very happily, I might add - at the bottom of the stairs. Safe from trees and shade. Too bad you're all not closer...I guess the people at work will benefit the most. I can't wait until I'm out of an apartment and can develop a real garden! Next year, I think I'm going to see if I can get a plot in one of the community gardens we have around the city here. In fact, it's probably not too early to see if I can get on a waiting list. It's really a great program and I'm sure will provide me with many friend-making opportunities.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I'm impressed with your green thumb.

The Lighthearts said...

Way to go, Jen! I think if I lean very close to my monitor, I can almost smell them. They look beautiful. Every spring I have the best intentions of gardening but I never end up actually doing it. Oh well, you know what they say the road to hell is paved with...I just hope it doesn't apply to gardening. :)