Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Roadkill

My dog and I almost got in an car accident last night. We were out running errands and a car coming towards us in the other lane made an abrupt lefthand turn, forcing me to slam on my brakes. Abby was standing in the back seat looking over my right shoulder so when I instinctively threw out my right arm it was met by 62 pounds of dog flying forward. Judging by the cuts and bruising on my arm, I think she won the collision. If I hadn't put my arm out, though, I honestly think she would've ended up close and personal with the dashboard. I guess it's a good thing she wasn't in her normal position with head out the window, tongue flapping because hitting her neck against the window frame wouldn't have felt too great either. And if she'd bitten her tongue and there'd been blood...well, we all know I would've been useless. Some stranger would've come upon us with me passed out in the front seat and a bloody-tongued dog licking my face in concern. Here's a picture of Abby in happier times for all of you who haven't met her.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Your dog is so beautiful. Or should I say handsome? What kind of dog is it? How long have you had the dog?

Jen said...

Since she's a girl, let's say she's beautiful! Abby is a humane society special, but I would guess she has some german shepherd and probably lab. Why is that every mixed breed seems to have at least a little lab? I've had her for nearly 18 months. She's the perfect dog - rarely barks, rarely growls and charms everyone we meet!