Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Unexpected Gratitude



Sometimes the best thank yous are the ones we don't expect or feel entitled to receiving. Recently a woman I work with had to make an extremely unexpected trip to England to help her husband arrange funeral services for his mother. I assumed some of her responsibilities while she was away and, as a thank you, she brought me these. I didn't help her out expecting any grand gestures but it was nice being appreciated and having her acknowledge that my help made it easier for her to be away with family. Looking at the flowers on my desk makes me realize how often I let the opportunity to say thank you slip through my fingers because I'm just "too busy" to stop and make it happen. That's something I'm going to work on...remembering to say thank you for the small, human gestures I so often take for granted.

No comments: