Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Books!

Yesterday was my mom's birthday and as she and my dad work in the LDS temple every Tuesday it worked out nicely to gather at my sister's afterwards and celebrate. My parents live about an hour and a half south of Portland. It was nice to gather with family and celebrate my mom. I had a great time interacting with my niece and nephews, especially when somehow the subject of books came up and they each excitedly told me about what they're reading right now. It makes me so happy to see them excited about reading and excited about the adventures that lie within the pages of the books. Tanner is reading To Kill A Mockingbird in his 8th grade class right now. He doesn't care much for his teacher which in turn is making him not care so much for the way she's presenting the book. This is one of my all-time favorites so I tried my best to heighten his interest in the story despite the way his teacher is handling the material. In preparation for his freshman year he has to read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury over the summer. I haven't ever read that but from the little I know about the story it seems kind of an intense rite-of-passage to freshman English!

Jarae is into a fantasy author, Brandon Mull, whose stories are full of satyrs and fairies and trolls and magical, mysterious lands. She had a rough go of it when learning to read so to see her so excited about it now is really endearing. Hopefully when it's her turn to read To Kill a Mockingbird in a couple years she'll be more into it than Tanner.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

jen--it's so fun to read your blog! and i just have to tell you that i'm glad your niece likes brandon mull's books. his wife was my trainer on my mission and a dear friend, so i've met him several times. he's super nice :) next time i see him i'll tell him he has a fan in oregon!