Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Neighborhood is Growing

Randomly, three people asked me today when I'm going to update this thing. My brother, Jeff, even offered to be a guest blogger! Since only a few of you leave comments, I guess I didn't realize how many are paying attention to my blog. Thanks for the love!

I'm getting excited by the number of my friends who are putting both feet into the blogging circle. I think it's a fantastic way to keep track of what is happening with each other and it's so much easier than sitting down and writing an email or - heaven forbid - picking up the phone. I have never really been a phone person unless it's a conversation that can take place in less than 5 minutes. However, I'm already aware there are exceptions to that rule as I can talk to family members for much longer than that. I think that's because it's simply a continuation of a conversation that has been going on for the last 30 years. Do you know what I mean? There are those people with whom you always have a level of contact so when you speak to them or spend time with them there's no need for small-talk. I find small-talk exhausting. I don't mind going to social events, but when I'm at a party where I only know one or two people I find I'm ready to leave shortly after arriving because I simply can't make myself small-talk with strangers for three or four hours.

How's that for getting off-topic? I was saying that I'm excited about all the blogs I get to read and all the years-long friendships (high-school...college...mission) that are being rekindled through blogspot.It's fun to see the daily events and not just get the highlights in the Christmas letter. And I thank you for sharing your lives with me.

4 comments:

Leigh said...

You are so cute!
I am with you 100% about the small talk bit and the conversations of 30 years. You summed it up perfectly!

Anonymous said...

I read it!! I never post, I'm a silent observer, but I do check it out from time to time, and in fact just last weekend looked it up and noticed how long it had been since you'd posted anything. Maybe I should start my own!

The Lighthearts said...

It had been so long, I was starting to get worried? Glad to have you back!

Amanda said...

glad to have you back and blogging! I'm always checking in.
Hope things are going well.