Monday, January 25, 2010

Urban Farmers

I read the most interesting book this weekend. It is titled Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter. I am a total back-to-the-earth hippie at heart (though I shower regularly and shun patchouli) and daydream about the day I can have a gigantic garden and honey bees and farm birds and would love to be completely self-sufficient. I know the complete self-sufficiency is a long-shot, though, because I draw the line at raising and butchering my own meat and I will never be anything other than an omnivore. The author of this book, however, draws no such line. She lives in urban Oakland and turns the abandoned lot next to her apartment into a big garden and raises everything from chickens and geese to pigs, rabbits and goats in her backyard with the intent of eating the meat birds and animals. I totally geeked out reading this book - imagine how excited I was when i found her blog online! (novellacarpenter.com) I love the idea of growing all my own produce. Right now my garlic crop is coming in and I check it every day as though I expect it to grow inches overnight. I am planning this year's garden already, deciding what food I want to grow and what the ratio of ornamentals to edibles should be. I will grow flowers to attract the hummingbirds and bees so am researching which varieties will draw the biggest crowds. I am totally itching to get my fingers dirty and it's still January!

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Love it!! I remember you planting a plant in our apartment and having to restrain yourself from eating the soil! Always a gardener :)

Amanda said...

I right there with you. I bought a gardening book last week that deal with self sustaining gardening. I've been planning my garden since then. John and I are hoping to go to a beekeeper intro this weekend. It's intoxicating. Unfortunately we can't have animals on our land, otherwise we'd have chickens already. Love those eggs! Good luck. I always love seeing your summer produce.
I'm going to do potatoes and strawberries in barrels this summer.

Nicole said...

Awesome!! I dream of living on a farm and having farm animals and planting a garden. This is so cool. Darrel says I am obsessed with large machinery because I have a list of farming equipment I'll "need" to till and plow the land. Growing up on four acres with no animals and nearly no garden has always been the spring board for my visions of a true life "Down on the Farm". Thanks for the book and blog info. You're spectacular!